Saturday, December 13, 2008

Christmas Trees

C loves Christmas trees. She's been excitedly proclaiming "It's a Christmas tree!" every time we see one around town. I had been contemplating not putting ours up in the house this year, but when she specifically asked, "Mommy, can we have a Christmas tree in our house too?" I couldn't see how we could not put it up. Our friends "Miss Danielle" and Erin came over to help us assemble and decorate it. The girls thoroughly enjoyed themselves, putting up the ornaments, especially the Dr. Suess and other contemporary pop culture ones that they recognized. I am glad, however, that I didn't try to do it on my own with C "helping." The whole business really needed two adult sets of hands. Daily, C announces with a sigh, "Our Christmas tree is so beautiful." It should be interesting when it comes time to take it down. 

Fittingly, our gifts for C's teachers are Christmas trees this year. We made enough for all the watchcare workers at the chapel, her room teachers in Hourly care at the Child Development Center and her dance teacher. That's a lot of trees. I covered wooden trees with Christmas paper from Close to My Heart and attached them to brown paper-covered blocks using hot glue. Then C decorated them with Christmas-y buttons and then I attached a miniature clothespin to the back. I'm going to clip a card that says "Merry Christmas from the Wongs" to it with the clothespin. When they get it home, they can attach a picture or a card or whatever. C thought it was fun helping Mommy "make something." (Her term for anytime I'm working on a papercraft.) She even got to wear an apron to wipe her glue-y fingers on. Dress up and making something--what a combination. Here's the final product.

1 comment: