Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Books with an "ouch"

C has recognized that her favorite book is "hurt". A few weeks ago she tore the bottom third off the first page of "Little Quack's Bedtime" by Lauren Thompson, illustrated by Derek Anderson. It's still her favorite, but lately, when she picks it up and brings it to me, she says "ouch" when we turn to the first page, and taps the torn part, and looks at me sadly, imploring me, I'm pretty sure, to fix it. I was going to just leave it, but Fred couldn't stand the torn edge, so he taped it back together. However, she still says "ouch" and points to the tear, so I think she still knows she hurt her book. I remind her when she tells me "ouch" that she "ouched" the book, and that it makes us very sad to have books with "ouch"es. Hopefully this will help her not give any more books an "ouch". When she gets aggressive with her other books, I tell her to be careful, she might hurt the book and give it an "ouch". So far, it's been working, no torn books since this one.

No comments: